On Friday, April 13, 2018 WGCU FM garnered nine individual awards for reporting at the Florida Associated Press Broadcasters event in Orlando, culminating in the coveted “Overall Station of the Year” award.
Local winners, the award categories and titles of the broadcasts were:
• Jessica Meszaros, first place, hard news features for “After Protest, Manatee County Votes to Remove Confederate Statue”
• Jessica Meszaros, first place, light news features for “Experience a ‘Dark Sky Park’” in Florida
• Rachel Iacovone, second place, feature/cultural/historical for “Immokalee HS Graduation Rate is Up 5 Years in a Row”
• Rachel Iacovone, first place, general assignment for “Gov. Scott Visits Everglades City, Still Without Power”
• Jessica Meszaros, first place, general assignment, long format for “Everglades City Residents Still Without Temporary Housing After Hurricane Irma Storm Surge”
• Quincy Walters, second place, continuing coverage for “City Dumps Toxic Sludge in Dunbar Neighborhood”
• Jessica Meszaros, first place, investigative for “High Arsenic Levels on Pine Island Ignored by DEP, Lee County”
• Julie Glenn and Matt Smith, second place, public affairs for “Trump’s Immigration Orders Hit Home in South Florida”
• Rachel Iacovone, first place, sports feature for “Bonita Springs YMCA Spends $300,000 on Pickleball.